China Medical University (CMU) was the first medical school established by the Chinese Communist Party. Its precursor was the Chinese Workers’-Peasants’ Red Army Military Medical School and Chinese Workers’-Peasants’ Red Army Health School founded in Ruijin city, Jiangxi province in 1931. After the Long March with the red army, it moved to Shan-bei. In 1940, proposed by comrade Mao Ze-dong and approved by the central committee of Chinese Communist Party, the name of the school was changed to China Medical University. In July, 1946 the university was ordered to enter north-east China with the army and reached Xin-shan city(now He-gang city),Hei-long-jiang province. In November,1948 the whole north-east China was liberated and the university was ordered to move to Shenyang. It merged the former national Shenyang Medical College founded in 1911 and the former private Liaoning Medical College founded in 1892 (both in Shenyang city).
Over 50,000 senior specialized medical personnel have been educated by CMU since its establishment. Its graduates are all over China and some countries and regions of the world. It nurtured so many famous medical experts and leaders of national health administration and education.